Thursday, January 20, 2011

Backstreet Boy A.J. McLean is struggling to get sober

A.J. McLean, the famous Backstreet Boy, recently went back to rehab for the third time.  A.J. has had a long-standing addiction to both cocaine and alcohol, and this time it looks like the addiction could ruin his career if he doesn't beat it.  For instance, last month on a Backstreet Boys cruise, A.J. was so drunk and out of control that many passengers started complaining, and some fans even requested a refund.

Perhaps even more importantly, A.J.'s behavior has been so horrible at rehearsals for the upcoming Backstreet Boys and New Kids on the Block concerts, that many staff members were reportedly ready to quit.  This concert could be a great opportunity for the Backstreet Boys, so the fact that A.J. almost blew it has ruffled many feathers.

There is some good news about A.J.'s rehab stint this time though.  For one thing, it looks like his bandmates are behind him 100%.  As Brian Littrell told the radio station Bob 93.3 this morning, "I'm proud that he would go into this situation willingly ... Last time it was a lot worse. He really went into rehab unwillingly the last time."  The fact that A.J. recognized he needed help is a great step towards truly getting sober.  As long as A.J. is willing to truly put in the time and effort, he just might finally beat this thing.

A.J. has released a statement of his own, reassuring fans that he would be able to participate in the upcoming concert tour, "For personal reasons, I’ve checked myself into a rehab clinic. With 2011 being a busy year for Backstreet, I want to be healthy and perform & sing for people at my very best and happiest. None of this will affect our current tour plans and I look forward to seeing everyone really soon! Thank you for all of your support and respecting my family and friends privacy during this time."

I wish A.J. the best and truly hope he does get his life together.  A good friend of mine from Dayton (who is still crazy about the Backstreet Boys), had this to say, "A.J. is really talented, but the drugs and alcohol are eating him alive.  I am glad he got help, and hope that the 3rd time will be the charm.  I must admit as a fan though, I am worried that the concerts may be affected, even if he says they won't.  That may seem selfish, but I was really excited for this concert!"